Sept. 15 marked the start of Hispanic Heritage Month, which goes through Oct. 15. Here at CSU, there are several events happening to celebrate our Latinx community. El Centro, our Latinx Cultural Center serves as an inclusive hub for our Latinx students.
I had wondered about why Latinx Heritage Month straddles two months. As shared on the El Centro website, it’s because it was originally designated as Hispanic Heritage Week in 1968 but then was expanded to a month in the 2000s. One month is of course not enough time celebrate and focus on Latinx heritage, but it’s a period of time to remind us to keep celebrating and learning about our Latinx community all year long!
Below are the upcoming events hosted by El Centro. You can find more information on El Centro’s Latinx Heritage Month site.
- Tuesday, Oct. 4, 4-5 p.m.: Todos Juntos for graduate students
- Wednesday, Oct. 5, 5:30-6:30 p.m.: Borderlands speaker Sonia Guiñansaca
- Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 10-11: Indigenous People’s Day celebrations
- Wednesday, Oct. 12, 5-6 p.m.: Pláticas (student-facilitated conversations)
- Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 17-18, 6-9 p.m.: Salsa nights